Wednesday, January 6, 2016

The Islands are Calling Us...

We are getting ready for another adventure and just in time as the cold weather is finally upon us.  Just my luck I had an opportunity to enjoy my holidays with a nasty cold.  Hoping this will go away over the next few days.  

Gadgets (many) and batteries/chargers were first items gathered, sorted, and now have a home in my travel backpack. Next came the clothes, casual and then the formalwear.  Various shoes (flip flops).  Oh yeah, let's not forget the snorkel gear.  Last will be the toiletries.  Large and heavy toiletries (e.g. favorite shampoo, contact lens solution, Woolite, sun lotion, aloe, etc) will be bought while in Ft. Lauderdale.  That's at least 5+ lbs of stuff we do not need to carry on the plane.  

I've been checking off items from my packing list.  They are either in the suit cases or located nearby.  My infamous packing list is always updated annually.  It's a big help to use my list after I do the initial first pack.  I end up removing 30-40% of the clothes.  This is called my 2nd re-packing.  By this time, each piece of luggage should be well below the 50lb limit.  
Hubby is getting better with his packing.  I only had to remove 10% of his clothes.  

Okay, so I have an emotional attachment to some of my garments. I do have to close my eyes and just put them back on the hangers and just hope I do not need them for this cruise. 
(Side note:  after a few cruises I began to see an interesting pattern develop.  There was a certain number of garments that were not being worn.  Shoes/sandals included.  Thus my packing list was developed early on to help alleviate this issue.)
Our travel documents are also in my bag just in case a hard copy is needed.  
We're cruising on a fairly new ship.  Maybe 1-1/2 years old.  It's one of Princess's biggest ship.  I've been perusing the ship's layout as it is completely different than the Grand-class layouts we're so used to.  


The above picture was taken last year while in St Thomas.  We were sailing out on the Ruby Princess while the Regal Princess was still docked.  Yes after I saw that beautiful ship, I went ahead and booked this upcoming cruise.  Looking forward to sailing on the Regal real soon!

No comments: