Thursday, January 16, 2014

Wednesday (01/15): Belize!

We were in Belize today! It was a balmy 75 degrees and lots of showers! Brrrrrrr! I know. Many of you who are reading this post are saying "at least it's warmer in the Caribbean". So true. I'm not complaining.

Our excursion group was scheduled to meet in the Explorer's Lounge (deck 7) at 11:45am. It's was a late excursion for us and we were one of the last groups who arrived back before our ship set sail.

We ate an early breakfast and came back to our cabin. Hubby went back to sleep while I spent some time reviewing hundreds of pictures taken the last two days. After Hubby woke up, we went up to Skywalker's Lounge on deck 19 so I could access the Internet. It took me awhile to get online. I saw several others with their laptops on the network. So much for my secret hide-a-way.

I noticed that the Satellite connection comes and goes. Probably explains why I couldn't get a consistent and ongoing connection. I was able to post to my blog here without too much effort. FaceBook (FB) is another story as I burned through so many minutes and no results and no pictures there. For now, you get to enjoy my posts and pictures here on my blog.

Now onto our port day. Belize is a tender port. We are anchored offshore about 4 miles from Belize City. Belize City uses high speed water taxis to transport cruisers from the ship to the main pier. The ship's own tenders are not fast enough to transport large numbers of cruisers. We noticed half the cruisers left the ship for their excursion and the rest remained onboard. Here's a picture of three other cruise ships anchored in Belize: Norwegian Dawn, Norwegian Jewel, and a Carnival ship coming in.

Belize 6475

We met up with our group at Explorer's at the required time. Another group who shared our lounge had their excursion cancelled due to the weather. They were scheduled to go to a beach instead. Nice of Princess to have quickly switched gears and have something else in place. Our group was called to head down to deck 3 which is used to exit an awaiting tender/taxi. We were happy at this point! Our excursion boat picked us up on deck 3! We did not have to tender to the pier, get on an excursion boat, and head back out to sea. Sweet!

Belize 2006

Looking back at our Caribbean Princess:

BelizeEx 2013

BelizeEx 2016

We were on our way to Sargeant's Caye!

It took us 45 minutes to get to the Caye. A hurricane had come through and swept away what was on this tiny island including the palm trees. Now, it's just a sand bar.

BelizeEx 2025

We didn't dock on the sand bar, but dropped anchor a few hundred feet away. We were divided into 4 groups and had an hour to snorkel with our guides. The water was initially cold, but after swimming for awhile the water felt good. The water was also quite choppy.

BelizeEx 2028

After an hour, we were back on the boat. It was just plain cold. Then it started to rain. I hunkered down with my Princess towel wrapped around me. It didn't help. On our way back to the ship, the Caribbean sea water was sloshing all over the place on the boat. The rain was pelting us. Hubby mentioned that the swells were about 4 feet. Did I mentioned it was downright frigging cold?! Thirty minutes later we were back on the ship...shivering like crazy. I dropped Hubby off in our cabin and I picked up my Coffee card and headed down to deck 5 to the International Cafe. Rhea was ready to take my order of Decaf Mocha and hot chocolate. Yummy!

Thank goodness our room steward had cleaned our room early. We're hunkered down in our cabin for the evening. Okay, Hubby was under the covers keeping warm while I typed away for this blog post.

Tomorrow should be a fantastic fun day in Cozumel. Looking forward to some sunshine!

Other pictures from today's activities:

BelizeEx 2020

BelizeEx 2023

No comments: