Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Tuesday (01/14): Roatan and Fantasy Island Resort (part 1)

We have no Internet connection in our room. I've tried for days. Last night, Hubby and I went down to the Internet Cafe to login and check our emails, FB, and my blog. I apologize about my blog. I didn't realize that my MarsEdit program was not putting in the returns or paragraph spacings. I may have to add some HTML verbiage to fix the problem. Until then, please bear with me.

Back to our current post.

Today we are in Roatan. We finally made it! Two years ago, this island was on our itinerary. We couldn't back into the island as the seas were rough. We missed this port of call and had to continue on to our next port.


The Mahogany Bay Cruise Center and Beach is located in an area known as Dixon Cove.




Here's a map of Roatan Island.  Look for Dixon Cove.   Also, make a note of Fantasy Island our excursion adventure for today.




Early in this morning, the seas looked pretty calm and our shipped started to swing around. The port pilot came onboard to help guide the ship into port. We backed in slowly.

Mahogany Beach




This morning's breakfast consisted of oatmeal, a fried egg, and pineapples.

Back in the cabin, we collected our bags and snorkel gear and headed down to the pier.

RoatanEx 1808

It was a 10 minute walk to get to our group meeting place. Here's main port area with all of our fellow cruisers waiting for their excursions to begin:

RoatanEx 1814

We boarded a bus and headed to a resort:

RoatanEx 1819


Here we are at Fantasy Island resort:

RoatanEx 1931



We hung out at the beach for a few hours. It was still partly cloudy with some rain showers.

RoatanEx 1851

RoatanEx 3039

Around noon, we followed our guide to the dive/dock area and proceeded to our snorkeling site. Along the way, we picked up a stranded diver:

RoatanEx 1884

Apparently, the diver was running low on air and surfaced to the top. She lost her bearing and decided to swim towards shore. Unfortunately, the water was a bit rough and her leg was cramping. She swam to the closest buoy and waited for a passing boat. Luckly, one our crew on our boat saw her in distress and we basically saved her. They called her resort and a boat came to pick her up:

RoatanEx 1897

Here's is the group snorkeling:

RoatanEx 1876

I decided not to snorkel in the rough waters. This brought back memories in Aruba where I felt like I drank in half the Caribbean waters. Plus a storm was looming:

RoatanEx 1875
RoatanEx 3141

After an hour of rocking and rolling with the waves on the boat, we headed back to the Fantasy Island resort. Along the way, the sun decided to make it's presence. I have to say, this is my all time favorite pictures taken with my Point & Shoot camera:

RoatanEx 1926

Sigh!

RoatanEx 1927
RoatanEx 1928

Beautiful, huh?


Here's a picture I found that show's an aerial view of Fantasy Island Resort:




No comments: