Monday, January 27, 2014

Saturday (01/25): Back in Houston and Some Cruising Thoughts

I was up early around 4am. The first thing I noticed was how quiet our cabin was. The ship was calm as well. This could mean two things: we're anchored in the Gulf because of fog or we're actually gliding in the channel heading into port. I went back to sleep and Hubby woke me up at 6am for our last breakfast on the ship. He told me we were heading into port. Good sign! We will disembark on time.

It was busy in the buffet area. I skipped the oatmeal and went for the blueberry french toast. Also had a nice and runny fried egg with smoked salmon and capers. Oh yeah, a friendly chocolate croissant jumped onto my plate. :)

Back in our cabin, we took a quick nap. Between yesterday's lunch and this morning, I've developed a little tickle in my throat. The ship was noticeably colder even in the dining areas. No worries. I'm glad we were both healthy during our cruise the last two weeks. I'm rather surprised we didn't catch a cold during the first week when we were in Belize getting chilled on the boat ride back from our snorkeling adventure. It was meant to be and we are thankful.

We had to be out of our cabin by 8am. We gathered our belongings and did a final pack in our cabin. I said goodbye to my towel animal friends. Hubby said goodbye to our cabin D220. We found Woodie, our cabin steward. We gave him a small gift, thanking him for his wonderful service. We slowly made our way down to the Promenade deck 7. Our group, Green 2, was to meet in the Explorer's Lounge. Our disembarkation time was scheduled for 9:25am. I am extremely tired and also sad to be leaving a wonderful cruise.

I have read many reviews of the Princess ships over the years. Some ships are just average and a few are memorable. What makes the ship memorable? It's the crew. It's the officers. Back when the CB was based in San Juan a few years ago, the great reviews were based on having a great crew on the ship. That intrigued me. When the opportunity arose to sail on the Caribbean Princess with a Western itinerary, I couldn't resist and booked the B2B. The only hesitation I had was leaving from the Port of Houston. Just a minor inconvenience.

The Caribbean Princess is a beautiful ship and has it's own personality. As I mentioned in a previous post back in December, we have sailed on several other Princess ships. The CB was built a bit different than the other Grand class ships we've been on. The beautiful Skywalker's sits high in the back of the ship. Providing a wonderful view and perspective. The main areas of deck 6 and deck 7 are nicely laid out with more cozy areas to read or meet people. I found two comfy lounge areas: one outside of Churchill's Cigar Lounge (when not in use) and one on the port side. The Internet Cafe and the Library are combined into one area. I thought that was an efficient use of space. The Vines Bar is much bigger on this ship and tastefully decorated. It's a great meeting place when waiting for the dining room to open or dine on the pastries and coffee from the International Cafe.

Here's the lounge area outside of Churchill's:
CP 1168

We are sitting in the Explorer's Lounge and it's now 9:23am. They are still disembarking on the Red color. I assume Immigration is slow this morning.
CP 1150

Five minutes later, our color is called. With our cruise card in hand, we are scanned for the last time as we exit the ship. It's cold outside. We quickly walk down the gangway and into the Bayport terminal. We are directed to the luggage holding area and find our green color and then our 3 pieces of luggage. We grab our luggage and proceed to a long Immigration line. I have our passports and Immigration form ready. We noticed another couple was having a heated argument. Actually it was a one-sided argument in which the husband was cursing. Apparently, the wife had packed their passports in their luggage. She was on the floor with their luggage open and clothes everywhere. After she found their passports, the husband was still cursing loudly. So sad to be that way. So sad that he could not stop to help her! Okay, I'm going to say this once. I would have left that dude at home! Okay, I'm done. Where was I?

After going though Immigration, I find a Princess rep and ask where is our transfer to the Four Season Houston. She directs me to a line that is waiting for busses. I ask a port rep about going to the FSH. She has no clue. She told me to take one of the buses to IAH (airport) and then get a shuttle to the hotel. I told her a big NO! That's not part of the package. Another port rep came to my rescue. She told me to stand in a new line for the FSH and she would find me transportation. Much better. At this point my coughing has become persistent. Uh oh! Not a good sign! We're standing in the sunshine, but it's 36 degrees outside. Brrrr!

They finally find a bus for us. We are sharing the bus with the our fellow cruisers who are heading to Hobby Airport. We give our luggage to the bus driver who then places them in a separate holding area under the bus. Not to be confused with those getting off at Hobby. I make a mental note of this. Thirty minutes later, we drop off the Hobby Airport folks and then proceed to the hotel. I give our bus driver a little token of our appreciation. For not mistakenly take our luggage off at Hobby. FYI. I've read reviews on other cruise lines where this has happened.

Upon entering the lobby at Four Seasons, we are greeted by Starlyn. She gives me a welcome back hug and our Princess letter. She also has a tiny envelope for me. We chat about out cruise experience. She apologizes about the start of our cruise and having to wait for the disembarkation. We told her no worries. I hand her a small gift of appreciation that I picked up on the cruise and thanked her for her help. Unfortunately, when there have been issues with the CB coming in late or leaving late, she gets the brunt of the cruisers pointing their fingers at her. Folks, it's just not right. How can she control the weather or the noro? We part ways as Starlyn has a large group of upcoming cruisers (61!) who are ready to board a bus and get their cruise started.

I am a wreck. I am starting to feel sick big time. We check in and head up to our room on the 15th floor. I put our valuables in the safe. Hubby thinks I should eat something. We head over to Phoenicia across the street. How weird for me being a foodie and all that I can't find anything that appeals to me at this market. Hubby is being patient with me. He finally realizes that I'm not even looking at the pastries and cakes...I must be coming down with something. I finally settle on a veggie pizza. We pay for our lunch and head back to the warmth of our hotel room.

I take a nap, but that doesn't help much. Hubby remembers a CVS a few blocks away. We head back out with me bundled up. It's 60 degrees, but I'm not feeling it. We find the CVS and stock up on what I need to take care of me now and to survive the plane trip home.

I told Hubby I needed chicken noodle soup. Most of the restaurants and cafes are closed for the weekend in downtown Houston. There are only homeless people and beggars among the tourists and the regulars who live in the downtown area. It's really weird here. Even with Hubby, I still feel unsafe walking around. We head straight for our hotel and the restaurant called Quattros. After scanning the menu, I don't see the soup I want. I ask the waitress if I can somehow get chicken noodle soup. Hubby then told her that I was starting to catch a cold. She came back immediately and said the chef would make it for me. Now, that's service!

I devour the soup and bread our waitress provides. Yes, I forgot to take that foodie picture again! Stomach over mind. I thank our waitress for the wonderful meal. Hubby and I head back up to our room to hunker down for the evening. I tried to do a last minute repacking as in redistributing the weight between 3 suitcases. Then I give up. I don't care. I'm tired and not feeling well. Hubby tells me to go soak in the tub with hot water. I have to say that the Four Seasons bathroom is devine. Instead of shower curtains they have shower doors. That means I can also create a sauna-like environment in the tub!

After my soak, I find a thick terry cloth robe. I had a good laugh at myself. The robe size was like XL on me. You get the picture! By this time, it was 7pm and I took my medicine. Comfy and cozy under the covers, I tried to read a book on my Kindle. My eyelids were getting quite heavy. ZZZZZzzzzzzzz!

Some where in between my dozing in and out of sleep, we get a phone call. Hubby is still up and answers the phone. The front desk is checking on me and making sure I have everything I need. How cool is that?! ZZZZZzzzzzzzz!

No comments: