Thursday, January 26, 2017

Day 13: Cozumel - Snorkeling at Money Bar (part 2)

I am passing this vessel (placed years ago in the water) and I see a black fish darting in and out.

Cozumel 5477
I wait patiently for him to take a peek:

Cozumel 5468
After a few shots, I finally get a decent picture.  A dark male Sergeant Major.  They say the male becomes blueish during mating season:

Cozumel 5470
Here's a Sergeant Major that we typically see a lot of in the Caribbean:

Cozumel 5473
I am floating around waiting for the fish to come to me.  I start studying their habits.  The Parrotfish would start to swim sideways along the coral as if to scratch an itch or two.  I’m not sure why they do this, but it made for an interesting photog moment.  Here’s a Stoplight Parrotfish:

Cozumel 5478
The Stoplight Parrotfish has a yellow spot at the upper corner of their gill cover:

Cozumel 5479
Cozumel 5482
I have no problem catching a close-up of a Bermuda Chub:

Cozumel 5488
Check out these two with their mouths wide open:

Cozumel 5490
I caught my first Barracuda and at a safe distance:

Cozumel 5492
I am having a heck of a time identifying this fish on top.  Could it be a juvenile Midnight Parrotfish?

Cozumel 5500
I was following him around for a bit until I could get a good side shot:

Cozumel 5503
From the top side, he blends in very well with the surrounding coral:

Cozumel 5504
This is a Doctorfish.  Easy to remember as they have the body bars:

Cozumel 5509
I pop my head out of the water to see this nice surprise.  We are not too far from the two piers (International and Puerta Maya).  I can see all five (5) ships from where I am snorkeling:

Cozumel 5565
Back underwater, I see a Brain Coral:

Cozumel 5522
Another Stoplight Parrotfish:

Cozumel 5532
How about a Blue Tang and a French Angelfish?

Cozumel 5534
A Princess Parrotfish:

Cozumel 5535
More coral and a French Grunt:

Cozumel 5539
Looks like Foureye Butterfly fish:

Cozumel 5541
Cozumel 5543
Cozumel 5546
Cozumel 5560
A sponge:

Cozumel 5563
Cozumel 5564
We are snorkeling for a little over an hour when a large catamaran is approaching.  It must be a ship’s excursion.  Did I mention how clear the water is?

Cozumel 5521

No comments: