Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Day 11: Costa Maya - Our Snorkeling Adventure (part 1)!

Where do I begin?  It’s still chilly as in somewhere in the 60s.  Hubby is waiting for me to jump in the cold water.  I take my time getting my snorkel gear ready.  I figure in five minutes the temperature will go up another 1 degree towards warmth.  Still, I can’t wait to get in the water no matter how cold it is.  

Here I am taking a quick photo op before dunking myself.  Can you see how the clear the water is here:

CM 4738
Love the early morning light dancing over the star coral:

CM 4741
Purple sea fans are abundant here:

CM 4742
Light dancing over the brain coral:

CM 4743
A young purple coral:

CM 4748
CM 4775
Here's Ocean Surgeonfish:

CM 4791
CM 4793
Here’s a Blue Striped Grunt:

CM 4800
A young Blue Tang:
CM 4803
Ocean Surgeonfish:

CM 4813
CM 4820
A Banded Butterfly fish:

CM 4838
Ocean Surgeonfish:

CM 4843
Blue Tang and juvenile Clown Wrasse:

CM 4848

CM 4852
Sea Fan:

CM 4861

If you look real close over to the right side of the coral, you can see the quills of a sea urchin:  

CM 4865
I am heading back to shore and I happen to look down and see an interesting coral.  So, I thought.  Then the coral blinked back at me.  I quickly turned on my Nikon camera and had a photo op with this Yellow Stingray:

CM 4875
It’s moving pretty fast, but I manage to keep up:

CM 4878
I close in on it and then it swims away from me:

CM 4881
CM 4883
CM 4887
We spend an hour snorkeling and decide to get out and have what appears to be second breakfast or an early lunch.  We are given Spanish menus and decipher the items on the menu.  Good thing I can remember some Spanish from my high school class. The waitress only knows bits of English and we manage to figure out what we want.  The other thing is to figure out the conversion from pesos to USD $.  We dine on fresh grilled fish tacos and guacamole and chips.  Life is good!

I forgot to mention that our entrance fee into Blue Kay is $5 per person which includes a lounger and free drink.  They gave us bracelets to wear for the day.

After lunch, we wander around the Malecon and head south along the beach.  What would be construed as the next block or two, we notice the area changes from being quiet to more upbeat.  The music is more lively and louder and the beach is extremely crowded.  There are many more resorts and restaurant as well as vendors selling their local crafts.  We also came across a few vendors selling fresh cut mangos, popcorn, fried plantains, and one guy selling colorful candy from his wheelbarrow.  Yes, you heard me right.  I have pictures of all this which I will post when I get back home.  Right now I’m focusing on beach and snorkeling pictures.

Next up…our 2nd snorkel adventure in the afternoon!

No comments: