Thursday, January 1, 2015

Traveling to Fort Lauderdale

We brought in the New Year by staying at a hotel near the airport.  I set the alarm for 3:30am.  I really didn't need to as I could not sleep.

We checked out of the hotel by 4:10am and sat and waited and sat some more and waited for our cab.  Our cab was 30 minutes late.  Yes, I was a bit agitated as I knew the JetBlue counter opened at 4:30am.

Now, I'm the type of person who does not mind getting to the airport two hours before boarding time. I don't do well with rushing and worrying.

Our cab arrived at 4:40am and we were off to the airport.  We reached the JetBlue counter to find two very long lines, snaking back and forth.  By that time, my head had sprouted two more white hairs.  It was a good thing I checked in the night before, but I couldn't pay for the extra luggage online.  So hubby and I waited.  After 5:10am, the lines were moving at an extraordinary pace.  Ten minutes later, we were going through security.

We decided to eat a very early breakfast at 5:30am:  egg and cheese on a bagel.

We boarded the plane at 5:40am.  While I don't like the rushed feeling of this morning, it turned out to be a blessing as I was soooo tired and just wanted to get on the plane and catch a few ZZZZZs.

Hubby and I landed in Ft Lauderdale two hours later.  We met our Princess rep near baggage claim.  Always a beautiful sight to see unlike our bad experience in Houston last year.  Once we gathered our luggage, she directed us outside to wait for transportation.  Now, at this point we never know what we'll get.  We've been in several limos and buses and about 90% of the time we have it to ourselves.

This morning was no different.  A tour bus stopped to pick us up.  We were the only ones on the bus.  Sweet!

So, we are now in the Embassy Suites.  We could not check in right away.  I grabbed one of the luggage and went to the ladies room to change into a short sleeved top.  We stored our luggage and the bellman suggested we enjoy the complementary breakfast. Second breakfast here we come!

We decided to stretch our legs and do some walking.  We didn't get too far and ended up Starbuck's for most of the morning.  I took the opportunity to recharge all of our gadgets.

Around 11am, I received a call from the Embassy Suites that our room was available to check in.  Sweet!  I was getting tired of carry my heavy camera/gadget backpack.  We packed our stuff and headed back to the hotel.

We have a beautiful suite with a decent size balcony that looks out towards the Port Everglades.  Saturday morning we should be able to see the Ruby Princess in port.

Hubby is now napping a bit.  In a few minutes, we're heading out to do some shopping for necessities.  Behind our hotel is a Publix grocery store, a Total Wines shop, a Nature's Remedy Shop and a Trolley stop (which will takes us to the beach later).

Be back soon....

No comments: