Saturday, January 17, 2015

Saturday (01/17): After Cruise Activities

After of lunch break at Tokyo Sushi, we head back to the Embassy Suites to get our Kindle and iPad and head over to the pool.  It's a bright sunny day in Ft Lauderdale and we don't want to waste such a beautiful day indoors.

The pool area is busy as in every lounge chair is being used.  Chair hogs exist here on land as well as on the ships.  I guess folks are practicing for when they get on the ship tomorrow.  Hubby and I walk away from the pool are and manage to find two lounge chairs together.  I don't bother to ask if they are being used or not as I find out that several people are using two lounges:  one in the sun and one in the shade.  Really?  How can you be in two places at once?

Hubby and I are enjoying ourselves.  We even try to take in a nap.  It's hard out here because it's getting quite hot in the sun.  You think we would be used to the warm weather after the cruise.  It's quite different to be in the water and having fun in the 80 degree weather than sitting in a lounge chair and well...baking.

We decide that a nap in our room is more suitable.  So, Hubby naps while I am busy packing our luggage for the flight home tomorrow morning.  Better to take care of this now then to worry about it later tonight.   I also spend some time reviewing some pictures I have taken.

It's around 3:30pm and Hubby is awake.  I suggest we walk over to the drawbridge (Port Everglades) and watch the sail-away.  I also wanted to be outside enjoying the beautiful warm weather.  Oh yeah, and to take more pictures.  Our walk over to the Port Everglades takes about 15 minutes.  Did I mention it's a lovely day to be outside?

There are five (5) ships in port including the Ruby Princess we disembarked this morning.  There are many folks here on the 17th Street Causeway drawbridge watching the yachts, boats, water taxis and various other water devices below us go in and out from under the bridge.  Oh I forgot to mention that we are standing in a pedestrian area away from the traffic on the bridge.  A safe area for us.

We've seen some crazy activities here.  One car literally stopped on the bridge (which is a no-no) and the passenger got out and took a couple of pictures.  A voice over the loudspeaker told them there's no stopping on the bridge allowed and to get back in their car and basically...move it!  The guy jumped back in the car quickly and they moved on.  Many of us standing on the bridge were just shaking our heads.

At one point we got to see the drawbridge open.  A small boat with a large sail was passing through.





There were so many boats and yachts coming and going.

Yes...Life is Good!

This looks to be a girl's night out....

Boat traffic...rush hour?

Water Taxi


A towing boat?

The Bonus Plan

Sometime after 4pm, there was movement in Port Everglades

RCCL Oasis of the Seas moving away from the dock

Oasis backing up and swinging out

Oasis heading out towards the channel

With the Oasis heading out to the channel,
the Ruby, on the right, is getting ready to leave the dock

Now, that's a lot of people on the upper deck


The following pictures will give you an idea of how large these ships are:




Oasis passing one of the condominiums located near the channel


Next up is the Ruby Princess leaving Port Everglades:

Ruby Princess on the right leaving.
Caribbean Princess in the middle


The Broward County Sheriff and US Coast Guard do a
great job with keeping the little boats out of the way





Not as tall as the Oasis, but still a big ship (Ruby)



Goodbye Ruby!  We had a wonderful two weeks cruising around the Caribbean with you!  Sigh!

After watching the ships leave Ft Lauderdale, our hunger pains begin.  We decide to have an early dinner at Gilbert's and head back towards the hotel.  Did I mention it's a beautiful warm day in Ft Lauderdale?

After dinner we head back to the Embassy Suites so I can take care of some loose ends for our travel home.  Once in the room, I notice my FitBit is missing.  I check all my pockets and it's no where to be found.  I call Gilbert's and chat with the owner.  She has it in her hands and is wondering what this cute little gadget is.  Hubby and I head back over and I engage in a really nice conversation with the owner on the FitBit capabilities and uses.  Wow, you wouldn't think I was an introvert!

Back in our hotel room, I call the Yellow Cab number that Princess provided us and setup a pickup time for tomorrow (Sunday) morning.  In our disembarkation envelope we received when we left the terminal, was a transfer slip for the Yellow Cab service.  All we had to do was call and make a reservation.  Easy!

I have to do very little rearranging between the three suitcases.  I just hope the two bottles of olive oil don't get smashed and leak all over the clothes.  

Life is good!







No comments: