Sunday, February 19, 2017

Learning About Caribbean Marine Life

It’s hard to imagine, but I’m still reviewing pictures from our January cruise.  I took over 3000+ pictures of which half were taken underwater.  As I was blogging about our snorkeling adventure, I realized I could only identify half the fish we saw.  Hubby was able to help me with a few more.  I found the plastic fish identification cards to help somewhat, but the drawings were too small.  So, I found a helpful book called “Snorkeling Guide to Marine Life” and have been updating my previous blog entries with the correct fish name.  It is time consuming, but I am learning so much.  For example, many juvenile fish do not look the same when they become mature fish.  It’s mostly colors that change from juvenile to initial stage and then to mature stage.

Hubby and I are learning more about Caribbean marine life.  We are learning about fish anatomy, different groups, corals, sponges, and other marine life.  I am only learning the common names for now.  Genus and species might come later.  We’ll see.

Here’s a Queen Parrotfish (Initial Stage) with a broad, white mid-body stripe.  I do not have a picture of the mature fish, but it would be a blue/green color with dramatic blue to green markings around the mouth.

Bonaire GOPR0481
Here’s another picture of the Queen Parrotfish (initial stage) in the center.  There’s a Blue Parrotfish in the upper left and an Orangespotted Filefish towards the back:

Bonaire GOPR0467
If you look real close in the center of this picture, you’ll see the Orangespotted Filefish with it’s white spot on the upper tail base:

Bonaire GOPR0479
Here’s a Bluehead Wrasse and some Brown Chromis (I believe…be back to validate):

Bonaire GOPR0527
Another picture with the Bluehead Wrasse with Spotlight Parrotfish (initial stage) and Queen Parrotfish (initial stage) in the background:

Bonaire GOPR0476
 Schools of French Grunt (yellow striped) and Brown Chromis:

Bonaire GOPR0542

Bonaire GOPR0541
Still waiting to identify this Parrotfish….

Bonaire GOPR0550

Bonaire GOPR0551

Bonaire GOPR0552
And this Parrotfish as well...

Bonaire GOPR0546

Bonaire GOPR0562 1

Bonaire GOPR0564 1

The pictures in this post were taken with a GoPro Hero 3+ at the Plaza Resort Bonaire.